LaDainian Tomlinson missed the game, too, giving Chargers fans a glimpse of what it will be like when Turner goes on to ignore his best player on the field. Turner often overlooked Steven Davis as coach of the Redskins, giving him few carries one week, then following with a knee-jerk reaction the next, giving him 40 carries. Turner also did something that most defensive backs had trouble doing for years, when he made Randy Moss an irrelevant player.
Welcome back, Norv. This will obviously be a long season in San Diego. But hey, the new uniforms looked cool.
John Daly, predictably, didn’t hang around for the PGA Championship, fading again into oblivion. But the loss of Daly helped usher in the emergence of Woody Austin. The relatively unknown Austin provided some great copy on Saturday, noting that when Tiger Woods bangs his club on the ground, that is just his competitiveness. When anybody else does, they are a loose cannon.
Hopefully Austin’s foray into the top of the tournament, and if there are any golf heads out there familiar with Austin please accept our apologies, but hopefully Austin can hang around for a while. Competitive or loose cannon, the dude is just entertaining. And he didn't back down from the challenge, actually shooting a better round on Sunday than Woods, but he had just too much ground to cover.
- Kurt Warner was awesome for the Birds on Saturday night, though playing against the Raiders can make anybody look good. Mark it down, Warner will end up playing a big role for the Cardinals this year. The dude can still bring it.
- Stolen joke of the week from Tommy Tuck Rule: Vince Young was suspended for violating team rules, and had to sit out Saturday’s game against Washington. The reason? Young wrote another letter to his teammates, but it had so many spelling mistakes, Jeff Fisher had no choice but to suspended him. Although that joke seemed funnier while sucking down Heinekens at the San Clemente street fair.
- Congratulations to THN’s Reading Royals who went on the road and managed a tie with Manchester United, despite being down a man. Too bad they couldn’t take out Wayne Rooney, who had to leave the game.
- Hard to argue with the success the Angels have had the past week, taking five of six from the Red Sox and Dr. Ross’ Twins. Who knew that Maicer Izturis was power hitter that the Angels were seeking.
- The Twins were wearing a sticker of the fallen highway on their batting helmets this weekend. Really? How many people died in that thing? Ten? Californians shoot more people than that on the freeway everyday.
- Yep, the Yankees are going to win the AL East.
- Congratulations to Eric Boo-urns for getting his contract from the Arizona Diamondbacks. The D-Backs look like the best team in the NL right now (yeah, some revelation), but could they do like the Angels and win a World Series in the first year they switch to red uniforms?
- Pacman Jones was booed during his stint in TNA on Sunday night, his apperance agreed upon by the Titans and the wrestling organization. Jones was left in a heap after being “beaten” by one of the wrestlers. If TNA really wanted to go the extra mile, they’d pay the extra money and have Mike Vick be the culprit.
From Lil’ Hater. There is nothing more annoying that those stupid bumpers during an NFL game, showing the local food in the region. I get it, they make tortillas in San Diego. Hey, did you know they eat sushi in San Francisco? They eat steak in Chicago? Barbeque in Kansas City? This is so insanely stupid, although not as stupid as the people who bring food to John Madden. Great, now he’s getting cheese all over the microphone while he is mispronouncing people’s names. Who was the freaking genius who thought it was a good idea to do this? And what the (expletive) are they going to do when they show a game from China? Take us through the local kennel?