Labor Day weekend will always have a special meaning to THN. For years it meant the kickoff of the NFL season, but that was taken away. But now Labor Day is about the Florida State and Miami game. And nobody could be happier. It was Labor Day one year ago that the world was introduced to Cowgirl. It is a day so momentous, it should be a national holiday.
And people knock Brent Lushburger all the time, but he was the one who made the quip that got her discovered. So maybe it’s time to give Lushburger some credit and stop making him the but of jokes. He did the world a valuable service.
So pour toast with a cold one in honor of ol’ Lushburger tonight.
- Terrell Owens made his Cowboys debut on Thursday night. Not impressive. T.O. didn't yell at his quarterback once. Obviously he is not in mid-season form. At least Mike Vanderjagt provided some entertainment as he missed two overtime field goals showing that he is already in postseason form. If he keeps that up, a suicide watch will be issued for Dallas.
- Sadly, Jeff George did not play on Thursday night. Just think, a week ago George was earning money by tossing passes to tourists in the Aladdin Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas.
- Shame on the media for labeling Greece’s victory over the USA in that basketball tournament as an upset. Seriously. Any team coached by Mike Krymmalcxvvbnmski is bound to choke. Just like Duke. But he will probably make a commercial about it.
- The Angels and A’s were idle on Thursday night, but Oakland did manage to add another half-game to their lead. Don’t know how that was possible.
- Account balance on Utah and the points at UCLA this weekend. It might not even be a bad bet to take the Utes on the money line. USC will struggle early, but should handle Arkansas pretty well. Georgia Tech covers against Notre Dame and Cal runs Tennessee off the field, causing Phillip Fulmer to eat his weight in ice cream and resign.
- Your moment of Bish: Dorrell, the Dodgers' J.D. Drew and the Angels' Garret Anderson would be difficult to separate on your basic languid meter. ... So what are you trying to say here, Bish, that Dorrell is boring? Hold on, there’s a call on the phone for you, Bish. It’s the pot and he is saying something about you being black. Seriously, if the Bish is calling you dull, then you have problems. Of course, all of this was a lot more entertaining when T.J. Simers poked fun at Dorrell's dull personality three years ago. But nobody has ever accused the Bish of being timely.
The Sun Devils are going to need to do a little bit of improvement after deceivingly defeating Northern Arizona, 35-14. It was a lot closer than that. They got rid of Bruce Snyder for this brand of underachieving? You start to wonder if anybody can make it work in Tempe. It’s too early to say that about Chuck Long and San Diego State who lost its home opener. But the Aztecs should be perennial favorites to win the Mountain West every year. There is no excuse for these two schools not to be top programs given their great location, weather and female student population. Cowgirl might never get noticed in schools like these. Cowgirl is hot, but she’d be a seven at places like ASU, SDSU and Cal State Fullerton.