Monday, July 25, 2005

Lyle Alzado in Training

What would you do if you won $500,000?

If you answered that you would blow it on a champagne and bikini binge, then you are in same company as former Browns offensive lineman Ross Verba. The 6-foot-4, 300-pound free agent reportedly won half a million from the Palms Casino in Las Vegas and then went on a spending rampage at Green Valley Ranch's Nirvana pool party last week.

That makes sense. Verba, who felt he was underpaid in Cleveland, asked for and was granted his release from the Browns this season when he paid back his $465,000 signing bonus. Verba has been described as a Lyle Alzado in training and this kind of common sense proves that he has much in common with the former Raiders defensive standout.

Raiders fans, of course, will likely applaud this move. But this is the same group of people that will use its $275 welfare check to purchase an authentic Randy Moss jersey.

Verba could have pocketed the Palms loot to make up for the loss of signing bonus (in one of the biggest boneheaded moves of the offseason). Instead he chose to spray champagne on seven bikni-clad coeds, which he recruited for a "hot body" contest. Verba showed that he was a politician at heart by not choosing a winner, instead giving $10,000 to each participant.

That must have been one hell of a hangover.

And don't worry about a new contract, either Ross. Lonnie Glieberman said that you will always have a home in Ottawa.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe he can write a book about it someday and we can all feel sorry for him.

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of Tug McGraw's comment: "90% of the money I made in baseball I spent on booze and women. The other 10% I wasted."

I think you're giving too much credit to the Raider fans here. They won't spend $275 on a Randy Moss jersey -- they'll just steal the jersey from Wal-Mart.